Wednesday, 10 October 2012

Quantity over Quality?


Social Media has been a large part in helping any and everyone to be able to distribute information on their own, whether it be reporting the news, distributing their own music or artwork, to even writing and selling their own publications. But the question is whether or not the quality of such information has increased or decreased because of it. I personally would have to say that it depends on how you look at it.
For example, unsigned music artists have been given the ability to broadcast their music to the public and be responsible for their own exposure without the need of a record label for support, such as through YouTube and BandCamp. This then can separate into both sides. Without the support of a record label, they are responsible for everything, including mixing their music, recording it, exporting the files, uploading it to distribution sites. You may have artists that know how to mix, record and export professionally, and thus guarantee that the sound of their music will be more on par with the quality of music from artists who are with a label. You then have others where they don't know how to do that stuff, or don't have the money to pay someone else to do it for them. Leading them to have poorer quality of music. The same can said about other information distributed by users of the internet.
If I were to finish here, then I would be saying that it is a pretty neutral stance. but you have to then look into the amount of people now distributing their information, and factor in everything else for each person. From my personal experience, I have seen more people as unexperienced and unprofessional when it comes to their distribution than I have people who are more professional and produce higher quality content.
In the end, I would have to say that although it allows for more people who just haven't had the opportunity to professionally distribute their stuff with equal level of quality, social media has decreased the overall quality of information being distributed.
Quality over quantity, not the other way around.

3 comments:

  1. I think social media has enhanced the delivery of the news. Think back to when we had to wait for TV and radio news to air or the newspaper to be delivered. Now, we don’t have to depend on the conventional method of news delivery. With social media we can get the news instantly on modern technology devices. Average people can post comments for further details or find out if the info is true. There is a responsibility for a reliable source to report the news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree. Just because news does not come from a professional source does not necessarily make it of less quality. Given that most newspapers and news stations are biased towards a certain group of people anyways, it is important to be able to have alot of different points of view.

    Yes there may be some crap that you have to filter through, but you should be able to figure out the good news from the bad fairly easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your overall conclusion. The quality of social media has decreased because people can post anything on the internet today. I can go on the internet and probably find a tone of stuff on fitness but that doesn't mean it's all correct or even something I personally should consider trying. Social media has made information easier to find but not everything found is reliable.

    ReplyDelete